Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Father's House--Part Three

The Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament discusses this word, "Perhaps the most theologically interesting usage of laqah centers around the two clear contexts where the word describes bodily assumption into heaven. We refer to Enoch’s disappearance when God "took" him (Gen. 5:24) and Elijah’s assumption in a whirlwind (2 Kings 2:3, 10-11) Genesis 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took [laqach] him."
2 Kings 2:3 "And the sons of the prophets that were at Bethel came forth to Elisha, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Lord will take [laqach] away thy master from thy head to day? . . . 2 Kings 2:10-11

And he said, "Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so. [11] And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up [ascended] by a whirlwind into heaven."

III. Real Life Application. These six verses comforted my wife a great deal as she faced death from pancreatic cancer. Less than two months before the Lord came to take her home to be with Him, she wrote these words to my sister:
"I will continue to pray that some night we go to sleep and even as we sleep that the Lord Jesus will come and take us home. Remember when Thomas asked Him, how can we go to you, we don't know the way and he said that he would come for us. What a beautiful thing. We don't have to fear the home going."And then she wrote, "I pray that the Lord will give you His Peace as only HE can give. I love you, Minnie"

"His peace"–that’s what Jesus left us as a legacy in that same chapter:
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." John 14:27
                                                                       –Pastor Burnside
[Note: I preached this same message on July 19, 2009 at Oak Bay Baptist Church in Port Hadlock, Washington and my wife was present as she always tried to be when her failing strength allowed. This was the last formal sermon she ever heard me preach. I resigned from my pulpit the next month in order to have 24-hour days free to take care of her.

 The Lord came for her just as He promised on January 13, 2010 and she was guarded by the great peace He gave her even unto the end of her journey–and her entrance into eternal life. The truths taught by Jesus in these few verses were such a great comfort to her–and to me. And I pray they will be for you, too, because you, too, will face death, but if it’s really your home-going to be with the Lord, then there is both joy and peace awaiting you. "Fear not, neither be dismayed." "I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand." Isaiah 41:10]

No comments: