Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"I direct my desire"

“I direct my desire”
What a helpful Psalm we have this morning! Psalm 25 begins with an idiom: “Unto Thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.” The ESV Study Bible explains that “to lift up my soul” means to “direct my desire” or “set my heart on.” It’s talking about the affections of the heart and implies a “longing” for something or someone.

Where should you direct your “desire”?? You must “take pleasure” in something or someone. What or who will bring you that deep satisfaction to the longings of your heart? Happiness, pleasure, fulfillment, satisfaction, delight–these are all good words which God alone can ultimately satisfy.

So “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” Colossians 3:2 As a deer thirsts for flowing streams of water, so “my soul thirsts for God, for the living God. . . .” Psalm 42:2 What a picture of great desire! Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” Mt. 5:6 And the promise is still in the Bible, “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

The next two verses of Psalm 25 tell us that we will never be “put to shame” or disappointed because we have a solid basis for our faith in the Living God who made heaven and earth. Those who found their hopes on vanity or emptiness and what doesn’t actually exist or is transitory and fleeting will be chagrined or put to shame. But those who trust in the Lord and look to Him will experience His saving grace and sustaining strength.

They “wait for Him” expectantly and He strengthens them in all He calls on them to experience. Our “solid rock” is “the God who is There,” His actual existence and Presence here and now. God is not just a “concept” or merely “an object of faith,” but a real Person who has eternally existed and who created the heavens and the earth and has all power in heaven and in earth.

King David then leads us in prayer,
“Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
teach me your paths.
“ Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.” 25:4-5
“Turn to me and be gracious to me,
for I am lonely and afflicted.
“The troubles of my heart are enlarged;
bring me out of my distresses.
“Consider my affliction and my trouble,
and forgive all my sins.” 25:16-18
I look expectantly to you, O Lord.
–Pastor Burnside

3 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

great post, Bill. thank you. very good food for the day!

Linda Tatum said...

Happy New Year Mr. Burnside. I am John Brown's daughter, Linda. Thank you so much for keeping us posted on your life. I miss Mama so much and so I know exactly what your family has gone through, and is going through. 2010 was a very horrendous year for my family. Too many crises, etc. But, we are still surviving too many storms with the help of God almighty. I miss Mrs. Burnside and I wish that she could have taught me college Algebra. I would have my degree if I could get the credits for math. Math was always the weakest part, education wise for me. You take care and know that we are thinking of you.

Linda Tatum
linda.tatum@us.army.mil

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful article, Pastor, and probably the main theme of my thoughts this past year. Jesus is helping me love Him more and I'm very grateful. It's a revelation to me that He provides everything--the command, the ability to obey the command, the forgiveness when I don't, the right reasoning to see the wisdom of the command, little glimpses of the joy of a surrendered life, new vision of the flesh as a terrible taskmaster, invitation to abide in Him, the thrill of knowing that he will perfect that which concerneth me. And yet, with all this light, I fall fall fall too often. "Oh that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!" Amy Nieman