Monday, November 15, 2010

"Strength in my soul"--Psalm 138

“In the day when I cried you answered me, and strengthened me with strength in my soul.”

Today’s Psalm is just what we need on a Monday morning–strength in our soul! And we begin as always “with my whole heart”–not half-heartedly following the Lord:
Psalm 138:1 I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;
before the gods I sing your praise;
[2] I bow down toward your holy temple
and give thanks to your name for your steadfast love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. [What God has exalted, we should also.]

[3] On the day I called, you answered me; [He answers us more quickly than we realize sometimes, but He often gives an answer we had not expected–or strength that we didn’t realize He had already given us: “as thy days so shall thy strength be.”]
“and strengthened me with strength in my soul.” (kjv) “My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:2 “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.” 2 Cor. 4:7

[4] All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord,
for they have heard the words of your mouth,
[5] and they shall sing of the ways of the Lord,
[Learn His ways so that you will know how to live.]
for great is the glory of the Lord.
[Aye, indeed! Catch a glimpse of the glory and beauty of God and you will never be the same! “Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us. . . .” Psalm 90:16-17]

[6] For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly, [Take your proper place before the Infinite God who made heaven and earth and now holds it in place and sustains the universe just as He gives you life and sustains you. Humility always before our Glorious God.]
but the haughty he knows from afar.

[7] Though I walk in the midst of trouble, [Isn’t that where we all walk?! Thank God when things are going well and pleasantly because it won’t always be so! “But He giveth more grace!”
you preserve my life; [That’s the only way you got this far in life!]
you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
and your right hand delivers me.

[8] The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; [Aye! and He will! But His purposes may not be your purposes. He tells us many of His purposes (and keeps hidden other purposes from us so that we will walk by faith and not by sight.) A major purpose is to make us more like Christ. Romans 8:29 Another is to share with us the glories of eternal life “at home with the Lord”: “Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose. . . .” 2 Cor. 5:5 NIV And yet a third purpose is to “work all things together for good to them who love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28 There’s “purpose” again! God has made so many of His purposes in life clear in scripture if we but have eyes to see and hearts to believe!]

your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. [Do you really believe God loves you! Not because of who you are but because of who He is! “God is love.” “Herein is love not that we loved God but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation [“sacrifice” or payment–atonement] for our sins.” 1 John 4:10 Then live like it! Walk in His love and thank Him for it. And remember, “God disciplines those He loves!” Heb. 12:6]

“Do not forsake the work of your hands.” [How could He do that! He has promised–by His Word, by His past actions, by who He is in His character and attributes–that He will “never leave thee nor forsake thee.” Heb. 13:5]
Be well assured that “He who has begun a good work in you will perform it [or bring it to completion]. . . .” Phil. 1:6 Aren’t you glad that it is God Himself “who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose.” Phil. 2:13 NIV
–Pastor Burnside

No comments: