Monday, November 8, 2010

Attitude of a weaned child

"Hey, I'm not only 'OK' with the new arrangement, I'm actually better off because now I have solid food and not just wonderful milk."
"Just as a weaned child is content simply having his mother's presence, so the faithful worshiper is content with God's presence, even when there are many things he would like God to explain (such as how one's own little story relates to the big story." (ESV Study Bible, p. 1109)

Psalm 131
O Lord, my heart is not lifted up [with pride];
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me. [Meaning "matters beyond human powers to comprehend"]
[2] But I have calmed and quieted my soul, [You can calm and quiet yourself just as the Psalmist did. "Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid" Jesus told His disciples. Jn. 14:27]
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
[3] O Israel, hope in the Lord
from this time forth and forevermore.

[See also yesterday's blog, "Like a weaned child."]
"To the weaned child his mother is his comfort though she has denied him comfort. It is a blessed mark of growth out of spiritual infancy when we can forego the joys which once appeared to be essential, and can find our solace in Him who denies them to us . . . and every childish complaint is hushed. If the Lord removes our dearest delight we bow to His will without a murmuring thought. . . . This grows out of humility and lowliness, and it is the stem upon which peace blooms as a fair flower. . . . Blessed are those afflictions which subdue our affections, which wean us from self-sufficiency . . . which teach us to love God not merely when He comforts us, but even when He tries us." (Spurgeon, Treasury of David, III, 131)

2 comments:

Mike Messerli said...

Great post, perfect length. I think you're getting the hang of this blogging thing.

Anonymous said...

Love this post. Love this psalm. Our children teach us so much--simple trust, contentment. A mother doesn't deny milk to punish, but to introduce the child to a new world.