Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times." Psalm 77:5 We don't have to go quite that far back to remember the good Thanksgiving holidays God has given us in the past. God has made us in His image so we can transcend time and space in our minds and go back and remember so many of God's blessings from the past and the sweetness of fellowship with those we love and laugh together and enjoy each other's company. And do what you can to make the present pleasant and memorable in kindness and cheerfulness towards others. "We spend our years as a tale that is told" so, under God, let's make it a good story!

We are in a special season of thankfulness so thank God for who He is! 1) "For the Lord is good; 2) his mercy is everlasting; 3) and his truth endureth to all generations."--including this one! Psalm 100:5 Share with every generation whatever age God's goodness, His mercy, and His truth. "The counsel of the Lord stands for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations." Psalm 33:11

God was faithful in the past; He is faithful now in the present; and He will always be faithful for He changes not. "The contrast between being and becoming marks the difference between the Creator and the creature. Every creature is continually becoming. It is changeable, constantly striving, seeks rest and satisfaction, and finds this rest in God, in Him alone, for only He is pure being and no becoming. "You remain the same, and your years will never end." Heb. 1:12 Hence, in Scripture God is often called the Rock. . . ." (Herman Bavinck)

Acknowledging our dependence on God is one of the ways we glorify Him. "Be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me. For you are my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me." Psalm 31:2-3 We pray for God to be our Rock because He is our Rock and we look to Him for stability and strength--and then thank Him for His leading and guiding. Leading and guiding are almost the same. "We require double direction, for we are fools, and the way is rough. Lead me as a soldier, guide me as a traveller! lead me as a babe, guide me as a man. . . . lead me by thy hand, guide me by thy Word." and by thy Holy Spirit. (Spurgeon) " He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness." Psalm 23:2-3 --Pastor Burnside

No comments: