Monday, May 23, 2011

Guide me to Glory

                                               Guide me to Glory       The other day we were rejoicing in God’s leading and guiding us throughout life: "He leadeth me." Psalm 73:24 points to the direction God’s guidance is going: "You guide me with your counsel and afterward you will [take] me to glory." [Or, "receive" me. In Hebrew the word is laqach meaning "to take."] He’s guiding us through life and at the end He will be there to take us home. Not send us, but take us Himself. That’s exactly what Jesus said to the disciples the night before He died.
      "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." [Greek, paralambano, meaning "to take."] John 14:3 ESV He’s coming for us Himself individually and personally. He guides us through life and then takes us to glory! What more could you ask!

        I’m thankful that He is the God of Providence; He controls all details of our lives.
                You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
                you discern my thoughts from afar.
                You search out my path and my lying down
                and are acquainted with all my ways.
                Even before a word is on my tongue,
                 behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139:2-4 ESV

        What beautiful truths embodied in those words of the Psalms, "he leadeth me" and "thou wilt guide me. . . ."
       "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and He delighteth in his way." Psalm 37:23
  
        In a modern hymn "Christ Alone" we see the same truth,
"from life’s first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny.No power of hell, no scheme of man,
can ever pluck me from His hand,
‘til He returns or calls me home;
here in the power of Christ I’ll stand."

       We’re on our way home to the Father’s House, brethren, and Jesus Himself is coming to take us home–just as He took Minnie–and her Mom and Dad and sister and my parents. Thank the Lord for His goodness and His eternal rather than temporal perspective.
                                                                --Pastor Burnside

No comments: