Tuesday, March 5, 2013


You know my way!

And you know the way I should go.

This is the way, walk ye in it,

        The Psalms speak to so many of our struggles and our dramatic moments. God knows what to do and He tells us. So we must take time to listen!

When my spirit faints within me, you know my way! Psalm 142:3 ESV

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. Psalm 142:3 KJV

        “The bravest spirit is sometimes sorely put to it. A heavy fog settles down upon the mind, and the man seems drowned and smothered in it; covered with a cloud, crushed with a load, confused with difficulties, conquered by impossibilities. David was a hero, and yet his spirit sank: he could smite a giant down, but he could not keep himself up. He did not know his own path, nor feel able to bear his own burden. Observe his comfort: he looked away from his own condition to the ever-observant, all-knowing God; and solaced himself with the fact that all was known to his heavenly Friend. Truly it is well for us to know that God knows what we do not know. We lose our heads, but God never closes his eyes: our judgments lose their balance, but the eternal mind is always clear.”   --Charles Spurgeon, 1834-1892, Treasury of David, III, 324

      And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. Isaiah 30:21 KJV

        “He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. As soon as he hears it, he answers you. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, “This is the way, walk in it,” when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left. Isaiah 30:19-21 ESV

     The Psalmist feels painfully alone: “there is none who takes notice of me; no refuge remains to me; no one cares for my soul.Psalm 142:4 ESV
He feels all alone. He feels painfully alone—but he's not! “ I cry to you, O Lord; I say, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.” 142:5 ESV

      And in the next Psalm it becomes even clearer:
I remember the days of old; I meditate on all that you have done; I ponder the work of your hands. I stretch out my hands to you; my soul thirsts for you like a parched land. Selah 143:5-6

      And again he asks for God's guidance: Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. . . . O Lord! I have fled to you for refuge! Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! For your name’s sake, O Lord, preserve my life! In your righteousness bring my soul out of trouble! . . . for I am your servant.” 143:8-12




No comments: