Monday, February 27, 2012

God Fulfills His Purposes for You

God Fulfills His Purposes for You
        God gave the same promise twice in the Psalms:
I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills his purpose for me.” Psalm 57:2 ESV
The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.” Psalm 138:8

           God never forsakes what He has begun and He will bring it to completion or fulfillment.
. . . He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion. . . .” Phil. 1:6

         And what are those purposes for your life? Scripture tells us several purposes, maybe the most important of which is to make us more like Christ. We are “predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son. . . .” Romans 8:29 And the same passage speaks of our ultimate “glorification” when we shall see Him as He is: we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.” 1 John 3:2

          There are, no doubt, other purposes and plans for us individually which are unique for each of us. That's why the NLT interprets Psalm 138:8 “The Lord will work out His plans for my life.” And those plans gradually unfold so that we follow God's leading step-by-step and day-by-day. The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way.” Psalm 37:23

       This passage is about the exile of God's people in ancient times but there is an application to us today since “all scripture is . . . profitable.” 2 Tim. 3:16
Jeremiah 29:11-14 (ESV) “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord. . . .”

         While we are waiting expectantly on God, God is at work and we can observe His hand in the providential care of our lives. “Whatsoever the Lord takes in hand, He will accomplish.”
Providence is the “performance of God's gracious purposes and promises to His people. Grace makes the promise, and providence the payment.” (John Flavel, 1628-91)

      In the meantime we have the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.” Ephesians 1:14

No comments: