Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Growing old with the love of your youth

                                 Growing old with the love of your youth
        I feel sorry for people who are married and don’t love each other! Sometimes I see people acting rude to their own husband or wife or treating them unkindly or even with arrogance! Life is too short for pettiness and unkindness. Few people are so privileged as my wife and I to have had 54 good years together and part of the goodness is being able to go through the hard times together, helping each other, sharing with one another. 

        Today I came across an e-mail that my wife wrote to one of our granddaughters the day before our 53rd anniversary.  "Tomorrow will be our 53rd anniversary. How wonderful to grow old with the love of your youth--and I love him more today than then. It just gets better and better. . . ." (Mimi to Julie, Sept.25, 2008) I remember being so touched by her words when I first read them and I kissed her and told her so. And she smiled.

        But when I read those words again today, I thought that I am glad that our granddaughters also love their husbands and want to please them. And scripture tells us that it is a very natural, God-given part of life for a husband to want to please his wife and a wife wants to please her husband. That’s as God intended. 1 Cor. 7:33-34

         I smile when I remember the many times I heard my wife tell one of our students at Christ’s College in Taipei in answer to her question, "Why do you and your husband have such a good marriage?" She would tell them of the Lord, of course, because it is He who we pattern our lives after, but she also always said, "It’s very simple. I take good care of him and he takes good care of me!" "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you." Eph. 4:32
                                                                                             Love,                    
                                                                         Pastor Burnside & Minnie

1 comment:

Mike Messerli said...

Great memories, aren't they? What a great heritage, what a blessing.